СMS (Content Management System) is a site content management system which includes software for working with the content of the site (adding text and multimedia files, creating new pages and sections, content editing, changing site design and etc.). CMS is sometimes called the site engine. Generally speaking, it is the basis of the site that manages all the processes that occur on the web site.
CMS is a great alternative to develop site from the beginning (when the whole code is written by programmers from the beginning to the end). It usually simplifies the work of the content-managers and other professionals who will work with the site.
Such a system combines various functions, tasks and aspects of the work with web-resource. Through the use of CMS it is possible to distribute roles between employees and delegate various access rights conveniently.
Content-manager is a specialist, who is able to work with different CMSs, has necessary skills for creating, editing and publishing content.
A lot of future operation aspects of your web-resource will depend on CMS, which you will choose. After all, the work of various platforms for working with content has its own specificity and a lot of differences.
Why should you use CMS on your site
The use of CMS web-project has lots of benefits:
- The web-resource will use the most effective set of tools to help you to solve a range of the most important tasks. The optimal engine is selected depending on the type of site and its functionality.
- The site owner will be able to create or edit web pages on their own after learning the basics of CMS, there is often no need to attract third-party specialist.
- Popular engines are always innovated. They have new useful features and progressive technical solutions.
- It is much easier, faster and cheaper to develop a site on CMS than to order a “recording” engine from a programmer’s team. In most cases you will get finished product after installation
There will be no difficulty with the main content management systems if you need to add additional functionality or there is a need for project retirement. It is always easy to find professionals, and their services will be cheaper than when working with unfamiliar code. There is a similar situation with content managers. You will easily find employee who will help you to fill up a site, operated by a well-known CMS.
What kind of CMS can be?
Very different! Some are designed exclusively for solving a limited range of tasks (creating forums, bulletin boards, blogs or stores), while others will help to create a project practically of any level of complexity and scale.
They are different due to such parameters:
- versatile and multitasking – the ability to create project of different types;
- convenience – some engines are very easy to work ( Wordpress, Opencart), while others need additional time to get familiar with functionality;
- price – many options are available for free, but there are expensive paid solutions. You can also use additional paid modules in free CMS;
- flexibility – CMS does not require large server resources, works well with cache;
- structure – there are monolithic systems, which practically do not allow changes, and modular engines, where it is easy to add desired functionality through various plug-ins and additions;
- security – the issue of reliable protection is different in various CMS types;
- optimization – how fast the system works and whether it is adapted to the criteria of search engines.
The most popular CMS
Nowadays there are hundreds of different content management systems. They are created on the basis of different technologies and are intended for various purposes. However, there are many universal solutions that will help to create a project of practically any format and orientation.
Wordpress is the most popular CMS on the Internet. Almost every third site is built using this engine.
The table below shows the most popular free CMS in the world.
CMS for general purpose